Monday, February 18, 2008

Long weekend...

Friday night I saw 'In Bruge'. It was a really good movie; funny, dark, and engaging. I also love seeing Europe on the screen. Can't wait to travel again.

Saturday was drama. I drove to Ron Jon in Orange County and bought a surfboard. Was going to go surfing, but I decided to take a six hour detour to visit a friend in need. Not sure if I made a difference, but hopefully it helped. My other friend had their surgery and came through alright. I hadn't realized how much it had affected me until I heard they were ok and got all choked up. Lots of emotional ups and downs, the net effect was draining. I didn't get home until late, and by then I was exhausted. I went out anyway, but the club was lame so I came in early.

Sunday was Big Bear. Word of advice to all those SUV drivers going to Arrowbear for tubing; the pavement is dry, you can speed it up. Oh, and if you see a line of cars behind you and a lot of space ahead, you are the 'slow traffic', so use the turnouts. My two hour drive turned into five, the snow was slush, and I officially suck at snowboarding. I called it a loss and headed home.

Today was the first really decent day of the weekend. I got up early and headed to Santa Monica with my new board. The surf was great; smooth rolling waves perfect for a newbie. The old timers were really cool and gave some encouraging words. Best of all, I was finally able to get up and properly ride a wave. Can't wait to go surfing again next weekend.