Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day camping

So this weekend I went for a little hike. Well, it looks little on my Forest Service map, but actually it’s about 11 miles with +/- 2000ft. elevation changes. I started out at Switzer Falls picnic area, hiked the length of Bear Canyon, and then went over the ridge to the Tom Sloan Saddle where I camped for the night. Bear Canyon turned out to be appropriately named, because four miles in I came across a brown bear. It was probably around 300 lbs, but didn’t want anything to do with a bunch of sweaty hikers. Once he spotted us, he climbed up the steep canyon walls and disappeared into the brush to munch his berries in peace. I pressed on and when I finally got to the ridge I was completely exhausted and had burned through a gallon of water. I set up camp on a sandy peak with an incredible view of LA that stretched out to Catalina Island and beyond. Forgot the can opener, so dinner was prepared with a swiss army knife and a large rock. After the sun had set, the city lights stretched out to the horizon. It was a great way to end the day. The night was temperate and relaxed, apart for the scorpion guarding the water bottle. The next day, I woke up early for the long trek back. I saw a baby rattlesnake and the bear’s cave, but nothing much else. First stop in civilization; In-N-Out.